Why I Love These Homemade Biscuits
There are so many reasons! First of all, they are super easy to make, and no special equipment (like a food processor, rolling pin, or biscuit cutter) is necessary.
It takes no more than 20 or 25 minutes to make them from mixing the dough to pulling them out of the oven. Then once they are done they’re moist and flakey and are so tasty (c’mon, look at the picture—you know you want one!). And best of all, they can be tossed in the freezer for later.
It honestly couldn’t be easier … so go ahead and throw away that refrigerated tube of dough you bought from the grocery store!
I am so happy to say that these turned out beautifully! Puffed up, flaky, tasty.
Ingredients for Whole Wheat Biscuits
- Whole-Wheat Flour – Whole-wheat pastry flour is a great lighter choice for this recipe.
- Baking Powder – Be sure your baking powder is fresh, otherwise they might not rise.
- Salt – A 1/2 teaspoon of salt is all it takes.
- Butter – Make sure to use cold butter.
- Milk – You can use any kind of milk for this recipe, but I used organic whole milk.
How to Make Whole Wheat Biscuits
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk with a fork.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and mix it into the dry mixture.
- Mash the butter pieces into the mixture using the back of a fork. It’s okay if the mixture just looks like tiny butter chunks covered in flour.
- Pour in the milk.
- Knead the dough with your hands 8-10 times, but do not over-knead it.
- Pat it flat on a floured surface so that it’s an even 3/4″ thickness.
- Cut out circular shapes using a drinking glass upside down, or you can use a cookie cutter.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for about 10-12 minutes, or until the tops of the biscuits are golden brown.
Other Whole Wheat Biscuit Recipes
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but 100 Days of Real Food will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us spread our message!