Within the spring and summer time I stay up for rhubarb season, which additionally goes hand in hand with strawberry season. These two summer time fruits pair so nicely collectively, the crunchy, acidic rhubarb stalks offering a bracing construction to the fragrant, candy pink berries, culminating into the right sweet-tart taste combo that’s so treasured in strawberry rhubarb recipes. Whereas most of us are very aware of strawberries, fewer of us know the rhubarb as nicely.
When is rhubarb in season?
Relying in your location, rhubarb is in season April by means of June. I’ve a little bit rhubarb plant rising in my backyard, and I simply love to select these crisp stalks for this rhubarb sauce recipe. Whereas the massive triangular rhubarb leaves are inedible, the fleshy, crunchy pink-green stalks are scrumptious.
Learn how to freeze rhubarb in case you have an considerable provide?
It’s straightforward—simply slice them into quick items (1-2 inches), unfold them on a baking sheet, pop it within the freezer, and as soon as they’re strong, switch the rhubarb slices to an hermetic container. Now you’ll be able to retailer within the freezer for as much as 6 months to make use of on this recipe (you may also use retailer purchased frozen rhubarb). My mom would dip the uncooked stalks into sugar and eat them like dipping celery sticks into peanut butter, however I like them cooked with strawberries in quite a few methods, similar to a strawberry-rhubarb cobbler, summer time fruit skillet cobbler, or crisp. You too can use your rhubarb for this tremendous straightforward, scrumptious, healthful, versatile Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce, which you’ll be able to get pleasure from plain and easy by the spoon, identical to recent applesauce! Or, ladle it over your favourite desserts, similar to good cream, sorbet, or tart shells; breakfast meals, similar to plant-based yogurt parfaits, or complete grain porridge bowls; or baked items, similar to pancakes, waffles, and low cake. I swear, for those who make up a batch of this tremendous straightforward, four-ingredient Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce, it’s going to disappear very quickly!
Make this straightforward, low-sugar, pure, scrumptious, wholesome, plant-based, gluten-free Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce to serve over your favourite desserts, pancakes, waffles, yogurt, or cereal bowls—or to get pleasure from such as you would applesauce.
- 1 pound recent (or frozen) rhubarb stalks, trimmed of leaves, sliced into 1-inch items
- 1 pound recent (or frozen) strawberries, sliced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ cup natural cane sugar
- Place sliced rhubarb and strawberries in a medium pot. Add lemon juice, sugar, and stir nicely over medium warmth.
- Cowl, deliver to a simmer over medium warmth, and cook dinner for 10-Quarter-hour, stirring continuously, till fruit is tender and thickened.
- Take away from warmth, cool, and retailer in air-tight containers for as much as one week, or freeze for as much as 6 months.
- Makes 3 cups (6 servings, ½ cup every).
- Might get pleasure from as a easy sauce, or serve it in pies, cobblers, crisps, fruit bars, or popsicles; or over cereal, pancakes, waffles, good cream, or plant-based yogurt.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: Quarter-hour
- Class: Sauces
- Serving Measurement: 1 serving
- Energy: 61
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Fats: 0 g
- Saturated Fats: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 1 g
Key phrases: strawberry rhubarb, rhubarb sauce, home made strawberry rhubarb sauce
For different fruit-forward desserts, take a look at the next:
This submit might include affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, click on right here.