Listed below are earlier than and after pics of our new metallic roof, together with professionals and cons of metallic vs. shingles and a few widespread myths about metallic.
Our New Steel Roof
Our renovation is way from over, however now we have a model new metallic roof!!
We’ve been roofless for nearly two months
For 2 months the home has been uncovered to the weather as now we have added dormers to the highest flooring and enclosed a roof deck. Fortunately it didn’t rain very exhausting in March or April! We had 1-2 occasions when Thomas ran over to verify on issues, however he mentioned it was unexpectedly dry.
Right here’s what it appeared like earlier within the reno:
Earlier than the home was flipped (unique roof)
Right here it’s proper earlier than we began our renovation:
The Shingles Earlier than
I imagine the shingles have been added in 2014 when our home was flipped.
After the roof was put in (in progress!)
Our Steel Roof Supplies
Putting in The Steel Roof
First they constructed the roofline over the deck that was beforehand there:
Are you fearful of heights!?
Siding was added and painted earlier than the roof was put in:
Siding Materials: Hardie Plank Lap Siding with a 6″ reveal. This materials is comprised of fiber cement which is tremendous sturdy, rot proof, and bug proof. It is going to be painted white!
The roof arrives to the yard
Set up begins!
First they lined the roof with some form of waterproof barrier, then the shingles went on prime, aligned vertically.
I like the best way the panels change route on the best aspect.
We contemplated doing a rubber roof on the flat tops of the dormers you can’t see from the bottom, nevertheless it ended up being the identical price with no profit, so we continued the metallic there too.
It’s gorgeous in individual and appears so nice from the road!
We had frightened that our home would have “an excessive amount of roof” with the extension of the previous deck, however the metallic is so attractive that it’s an excessive amount of of factor!
Execs and Cons of a a Steel Roof
- They final a very long time: Steel roofs are imagined to final 40-70 years, so whereas they may be dearer up entrance, the associated fee evens out over time. In distinction, asphalt / shingle roofing sometimes lasts 12 to twenty years.
- They’re extra sustainable: Their lifespan additionally makes them the extra sustainable alternative. Plus they’re typically partially product of recycled supplies and could be recycled themselves.
- They’re tremendous sturdy: Steel can stand up to quite a lot of parts together with gusts of wind as much as 140 miles per hour. Additionally they have rust-proof coatings, so cracking or corroding shouldn’t be typical.
- They’ll scale back vitality prices: Actually! Not like heat-absorbing asphalt, metallic displays daylight. (I’m not certain in the event that they sort of metallic roof we received matches this description or if it’s principally for lighter metallic shades.)
- They appear lovely! Clearly this can be a massive professional : )
- Study extra right here from the Steel Roofing Alliance.
- They’re dearer: The quotes we received for shingles vs. metallic have been 2x as costly for the metallic, $10k vs $20k. We’re renovating our home for us to dwell in for the long-term, so this appeared like a clever funding given the professionals above. It’s 2x as costly however lasts 2-3x as lengthy, so it’s form of a wash in that division.
- They are often broken: whereas it’s unlikely (see the following part beneath) the metallic can get broken. Our roofer mentioned you may substitute only one panel if injury does happen, so the complete roof doesn’t want alternative. In metallic’s protection, shingles can get broken too.
Gus is happy for the brand new roof on his porch!
Myths of Steel Roofs
Are metallic roofs actually loud in rain?
I grew up in an historic home with a metallic roof and have fond reminiscences of listening to the rain on prime. Rain on a tin roof is even a white noise sound on some machines! That mentioned, when you have the suitable quantity of insulation between the roof and prime flooring, it shouldn’t be very loud. Ask me once more this fall, although ; )
Do metallic roofs make a home hotter?
No, truly, they’re about the identical as shingles. I’ve heard that white roofs are actually a factor on the rooftops of business buildings, however when evaluating metallic to darkish shingles, they’re about the identical.
Do metallic roofs have an effect on Wi-Fi or cell alerts?
Will a metallic roof get dented simply?
This was my primary concern after we began researching roofs. I requested our roofer this and he mentioned to not fear about limbs or hail denting the metallic, significantly on the sloped components. He mentioned a extremely unhealthy hail storm might have an effect on the flat half, however you may’t see that half until you’re a drone or airplane, so it’s not a giant concern. That is one other “ask me in a yr!” query 😉
What sort of gutters go finest with a metallic roof?
Our earlier than home had white metallic gutters and downspouts, however we’re going to go together with a darkish bronze to match the brand new roof this time round! We held up the samples of the roof subsequent to the samples of the gutter supplies and the black made the roof colour look blue. The grey was too mild. So bronze it’s.
Will you be getting photo voltaic panels?
Possibly! They weren’t in our funds in the intervening time, however they’re one thing we wish to pursue in just a few years. Fortunately they’re straightforward to put in on metallic and now we have a south going through residence.
Up subsequent week: Home windows!!
See all of the renovation posts right here.